Each topic faces a balancing act. A relationship can be off balance in either direction. There are 2 unhealthy extreme ways of handling each topic and there is a healthy middle: The Third Option.
We can either be Too Trusting or Too Distrusting (the 2 options for this topic)
- We want things so badly we make unwise choices
- We might be more gullible
- We set ourselves up for being hurt—more than needed
- We need an iron-clad guarantee
- We don’t give people a chance and put up a wall of protection
When we rebuild trust we picture going up a ladder reaching the top where we want to be, home safe. The top is where we are our truest selves and trust our partner in healthy way. This is true intimacy. In class we go over the ladder, and what it takes to go up. We also recognize we make mistakes and may fall down the latter and work at going back up again.
Since intimacy is our goal, keep in mind there are many areas we connect intimately: socially, emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, and physically.
Join us to learn The Third Option and how to work your way there, to the healthy, middle solution.